Thursday, April 03, 2008

Where did the weapons come from?

Recently the administration has been pushing the line that all of the Iraqi insurgents' weapons were donated by Iran. If they aren't lying (and that never happens), where did the Iranians get the weapons?

POWELL: Some time over the next week-and I can't quite recall how-either from the Secretary or one of my NSC interlocuters, it might have been Admiral Poindexter or Colonel North, I really don't recall. Or it might have been that the CIA told the Army, once I put them in touch with each other, that the number was up to 4,500, and I became aware of it, it came back to me, and I confirmed it with the-let the Secretary know about it, and there were no objections, and it was at that point that I realized that-well, I have answered your question.


That's 4500 TOW missiles that the tough-on-national security Reagan administration sold to the Iranians, with Iran/Contra unindicted co-conspirator and future media star Colin Powell playing his small role.

On another note, while looking through some old Iran/Contra testimony, it turns out that not-exactly-a-partisan-gunslinger Richard Armitage was up to his eyeballs in this stuff, before briefly becoming a hero for opposing the war in Iraq, then blowing his credibility by leaking Valerie Plame's name to Robert Novak. Not to mention his complete lack of a neck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

first.

Ali said...

Stop with the facts. Facts are so pre-9/11.

Anonymous said...

Lack of a neck is always a dead giveaway. Fer sure.